Aug 5, 2015

Homemaker

I've always had a job. It started when I was 12 and would baby-sit all the time. Then when I turned 16 I got a job at a grocery store and had full time jobs as well during the summers of high school. During my college years I probably had 20 different jobs over the 4 years. When I got married I worked at a video store - some people may not even remember what those are now thanks to RedBox. When we started thinking about having kids I found a job at an insurance agency so we could have health insurance. And when I had 2 babies at home I was employed at the hospital. But having 2 babies and working full time was hard on me. I always said I would NEVER be a stay at home mom, but I missed my girls during the day. We decided a good compromise and plan would be for me to work part time. Which was great. For awhile. But I officially quit my job a year ago, but have been pretty much not working for 3 years now. (Ok so sorry. Apparently I decided to give you my detailed resume!) Anyways...

Whenever I fill out a form I have been answering "unemployed" for the last few years. Honestly, it always annoyed me when people would answer - I work, I work at home, I just don't get paid. All moms work at home, some just also have to work at a place of employment.

I've struggled over the years wearing the title: stay at home mom. I never wanted that title. I didn't understand that title. Until I had a couple kids. Then I wanted it. I wanted to be home. But I didn't place a lot of value on me doing that. I thought it was just because I didn't want to work. Like it was he lazy, selfish option. I always was one to wonder the question: "What do you do all day?" (Stay at home moms hear that question quite a bit.)

I haven't really even understood the value and what it means to be a stay at home mom until recently.

Yesterday someone called me a HOMEMAKER.

I liked that. I let it bounce around in my mind all night. I tried it out by saying, "I am a homemaker." Ya, that sounded nice. It sounded important. And then I thought about it. I am important. I am important to my husband. I am important to my kids.

I clean the house, I set the budget, I pay the bills, I meal plan, grocery shop, cook and do the dishes, I give baths and haircuts, I change diapers and wipe butts, I do the laundry, make and take my kids to appointments, organize the calendar and our to dos, I prepare and teach them school and how to do things on their own. I plan fun activities and get them to church on Sunday's. I make sure our family is running smoothly and that we are organized among any and everything else.

I care for, tend to, encourage, support, teach, serve, and love my family.

I MANAGE our home. 

I am important.

So call it whatever you want. Stay at home mom or homemaker. Working mom. Or __Fill in the blank__ Mom. But I am important. You are important.  Moms are important... I think we kind of are the ones keeping the world turning around.

 
(This is not a post for the "mom wars" of who's better. No! I've been on both sides and neither are right or wrong for everyone. It's what's best for you and your family. Also, I couldn't be the mom I am without my amazing husband who provides for us and who supports and encourages me and this family! I am so thankful he is my teammate and truly my better half. He is such a hands on dad and does more than his fair share of being helpful at home! Also, not to make it sound like an award speech - but truly none of this could be possible without the real world turner - God!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...