Mar 10, 2015

When Everyone You Know Has Enough

I love to shop for clothes on clearance. Why pay full price when you can wait until it's marked down? I will admit we shop new, but never for full price. Clearance racks are my friend.

This Winter I have been trying to pay attention to the coats going on sale. Not because my kids need one, but because I wanted to give them to a few kids I knew who needed them. Last year God led me to a sale of 20 cute jackets from Old Navy for 23 cents a piece! I bought them all up and gave them to a public school near me.

Well, a friend of mine text me last week that the big Winter coats were now $4 at Wal-Mart. I went the next day and picked out a few, but then I got sad.

image

I was embarrassed. I realized everyone I knew had more than enough. I didn't know very many people (if any at all) who were truly in need. I didn't even know 2 kids that were cold in need of a coat? How is that possible? It was freezing outside with several inches of snow. I am in a pastor's family, involved in my local church, and a Christian. I left empty handed knowing I needed to change that.

What good is it to have faith, but not show it by my actions? It does no good to see someone without food or clothing and say I hope you stay warm and eat well, but do anything about it.

I WILL SHOW YOU MY FAITH BY MY GOOD DEEDS. (James 2:14-20)

I want to get to know the poor and needy in my community. I want to be intentional about meeting people who don't live like I do. I want to give to people who could never repay me.

I went back to Wal-Mart to find these coats again a few days later. I bought 6 of different sizes. 2 boys coats (18 months and Large 10/12) and 4 girls coats (3T, S 6, M 7/8, L 10/12). Do you know of someone in need? If you're local, let me know and I'd be happy to provide one of them for them! Also, check out your local Wal-Mart and maybe you are able to pick up a few for those in need in your community.

"Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:16

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...