Jan 30, 2015

The Hare and The Tortoise

We have been learning about Tt Turtles during homeschool. And what I love about our homeschool is we're not just studying these animals and letters, but we are learning about God and different character traits to put on.
 
This unit we learned, "I do not quit; I persevere!" (Galatians 6:9)
 
This has been a great lesson to teach my kids (and myself) and a fun way we made it stick was to have a fun obstacle course. This activity cost us nothing and only took a few minutes to prepare for. And the laughs and fun we had were priceless.
 
First we started out by reading The Hare and The Tortoise.
 
Daddy set up the obstacle course.
 
First the girls had to race around with no obstacles except for a bean bag on their head. Brayce took off like the Hare, but soon realized she needed to slow down if the bean bag was going to stay on her head.
 
Slow and steady wins the race.
 
This course also made me realize how often I call Brayce slow. Usually to other people even. It's one of the main ways I describe her. And now I realize that slow isn't a bad quality. This girl knows how to take her time and enjoy life. Stop and smelling all of the roses along the way. So I want to apologize to my girl for this and instead I want to encourage her that going slow isn't a bad thing and to keep persevering. Plus, it's not very often that we are actually in a hurry so it's a good reminder for the rest of us to relax and slow down.
 
 
Can you hear the laughter hear?!
 
Now comes the obstacles.
We talked to the girls how life is sometimes hard and there will be obstacles along the way. But we need to persevere and not give up when things get tough. And to never get tired of doing what is right.
 
And then there are those moments that a life lesson hits smack dab in the middle of what you're teaching and learning. The next 4 pictures are of Brayce quitting because it got tough.
 
Daddy talking to Braycee how we don't quit we persevere as she cries because she is slower than her sister and the bean bag kept falling'to the ground. (And maybe because I couldn't quit laughing at her cute little fit.)
 
Life gets tough little girl. Mommy and Daddy will always be there to encourage you on. Rely on God. And keep going!
 
And of course Daddy wanted to do the course and time himself! He's such a fun Dad!
I DON'T QUIT; I PERSEVERE.
 
Now let's go inside where it's warm.
 

 

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...