Aug 30, 2012

Baby Steps

Summer is over which means Wednesday night children and youth group is back in session at church!

This past Wednesday was our first night back and the girls were VERY much excited. Last week when I was signing them up for their classes, one of the teachers asked me to help with the Cubbies' class (the 3 and 4 year olds) and I said NO WAY!!! Then I got to thinking about it and thought how much I would love to be a part of Kairi's class and watch her grow and learn. So I prayed about it and felt like I should say YES. 
I was nervous to say yes and to commit myself to something that I wasn't sure was "my gift". However, they needed help and I am able and willing. So I felt like there was no reason to not say yes. 

My husband and I were talking about how just a couple years ago, we were helping lead the high school youth group and gradually phased out as we had kids of our own and as the youth group changed and our kids we started out with graduated. I always said high school aged kids were more my thing, but now I see as my stage of life changes so does my heart. I want to be a part of my kids' lives and most certainly in their spiritual development. And right now that means helping with the little bitty ones! 

See a NEED, fill it.
See a HURT, heal it.
See a PROBLEM, fix it.


There were 23 kids in Kairi's class on the first night, with 2 teachers and 2 helpers. That was one crowded room! I am excited for God to use me this year and to help teach the next generation about His love for them. (I am more helping with crowd control and potty duty, but that's ok with me! I asked to be able to help, but to not have to teach. Baby steps.) There are going to be some challenging times as I already saw the first night, but I just have to remember why we are there. We are there to LOVE and to serve. We are to be His hands and feet! I am so excited to be a part of this team of people. The volunteers at our church are do-ers! They work hard and love big!!! Thank you for letting me be a part of the team! 

2012 First day of Puggles and Cubbies class
Brayce 1 1/2 and Kai 3 1/2

My BIG girl! She keeps getting taller and taller. Beautiful and smart!
(Today she told me she was done with 3. She grow big and is 4 now.)

My funny girl! She enjoyed the pizza they served tonight. 
Brayce was across the hall from me tonight in the Puggles class. I heard crying and was told that Papa made her cry. He had stuck his head in the classroom and Brayce wanted to go with him and he told her... no. Then the tears started flowing. Brayce LOVES her Papa and does NOT like the word no. They did say she settled down after a little bit. And had fun playing catch... or I guess fetch.

23 little cubbies!
We need more space! A good problem to have.

Kai's "mug shots" 
First day of class
Kai did SO well during class. It really made me proud. She is a quiet girl and likes to observe. But follows directions and the rules and is respectful to the teachers. She is so smart and has already memorized her first scripture of the year.
"God loved us and sent his son." 1 John 4:10
At the end of class she even said it to her teachers. I had to encourage her to because of her shyness. Speaking up and talking to other people is something I see we will need to work on. 
I have to thank the Lord that I get to continue to be an influence in my daughter's life.

Kairi with 2 of her good friends after class was over.
They have fun together!

1 comment:

  1. Thats awesome KC. Last year I was in with the puggles because I was still nursing Daphne. This year I am helping with the 1st grade. Its melodys class and she loves that I get to spend that extra time with her. I was pretty nervous as well but after a few min. I just jumped in with both feet! I am soooo excited to spend time with these kids and share Gods love with them. Wednesday nights are chaos but amazing, wonderful chaos.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...