May 4, 2012

Proud

"Mommy, you proud of me?"


Jonathan was shopping at Vintage Stock trying to find a video game so the girls and I sat on one of their couches while he browsed and they have video games on tvs that you can play. Kai started playing one and looked up at me and said, "Mommy, you proud of me?" 
This made my heart smile as I gave her a huge hug and kissed her on the forehead and said, "more than you know, baby. I'm so proud of you."

This reminded me of how at ANY AGE children are always wanting to make their parents proud and to have them tell them they are. 
At 3 playing a video game, at 16 getting straight A's, in college bringing a nice boy home, at 25 buying their first home, etc etc etc... This even applies to children whose parents left when they were 6. They strive their whole lives to make that person proud, always yearning to hear it, regretting that they never will.

I know everything I do I want to make my parents proud and have their approval. No matter what it is. If it's marrying a good Godly man, or becoming a responsible homeowner. Or if it's losing weight or getting a new job. I always LOVE hearing, "I am proud of you." I love knowing that I am making the right decisions for them to be able to be proud of me, too.

So parents don't forget this... Even if you are 85 and your child is grown and old, those words will mean the world to them. So whatever the reason you are proud of your child, tell them! You know you brag about them to other people, but make sure to tell them. Love them for who they are and accept them... encourage and motivate. Say, "I'm so proud of you, son/daughter." 

This also reminds me of making our Heavenly Father proud. Are the decisions you are making in your life going to make God proud and one day say to you, "I'm proud of you, son/daughter."

**Dad, Mom, this is not a message to you about telling me. You do tell me you are proud of me; it was just a thought I had when Kai looked up at me and said those words. :) So please don't think this is directed towards you!

2 comments:

  1. Love it...so true!! I often hear Addelyn tell Payne she is so proud of him...love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working with kids at the Pre-School, I have found that even kids who don't belong to me need to hear these words when they accomplish something in class. Thanks for sharing. I think I would have teared up if I was in your shoes! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...