Jul 26, 2015

The Power

I always laugh a bit when I hear this and it always surprises me that I hear it so much... "Oh, you have so much more patience than I do."

I'm not sure why people think that, but when people find out I stay at home, that I homeschool my kids, or that I want a big family it is always the response.  

But let me let you in on a little secret... I do not have it all together. And I especially do not have a superhuman level of patience oozing out of me. I have the same amount as every one else... which on most days it isn't much. Patience does not come naturally to me just because I spend so much time with my children.

Can I tell you another secret? I'm scared and it's scary. It's scary to want/have a big family. It's scary to take on the task of homeschooling multiple children especially while trying to entertain the littler ones. It's tiring and demands more energy and strength than I possess. I worry that I am going to ruin my children. That I won't have enough strength, patience, kindness, etc. to meet the needs of each one of them. That my kids will miss out on too much. And that I won't be a good enough teacher and will make my kids stupid.

The truth is it's all true. I don't have enough and I'm not enough. I can't be all that my kids need.... without the help of my Father in Heaven. He has given me the Holy Spirit that lives inside of me to be my Helper. To produce fruit in my life: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. (Galatians 5:22-23)

And as I sit here and worry about the approaching school year. As I think of my 6 year old, 4 year old, 1 year old and newborn. How I'm going to do it. Why I do it. If I should do it.

I know I shouldn't get tired of doing what is good. If I don't give up there will be a harvest of blessing. I know where I need to go to get my strength. So yeah, I'm scared. I'm no supermom who has it all together.

I'm just like you. Scared and a mess. But a beautiful mess. This year I choose to believe that I can do it because I believe in the One who can do all.

"For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

"For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him." Philippians 2:13

So be encouraged. I know I am. Whatever God is leading you to do in your life and in your family know that he is working in you and gives you the power you need to do what pleases him!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...