Nov 5, 2014

Why Do I Do What I Don't Want To Do

I just keep thinking about how time just keeps slipping away. The days pass and I'm no where closer to where I want to be. I have all these goals and things I want to get done and accomplish but yet none of them seem to happen.

Things don't just complete themselves. Most things take: time, effort, hard work and consistency. 4 things that I have not put forth.

I have goals. Yet, I am not taking the necessary steps to reach them.

Why??

 

"So the trouble is not with the law, for it is spiritual and good. The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin. I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate. But if I know that what I am doing is wrong, this shows that I agree that the law is good. So I am not the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t. I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. But if I do what I don’t want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong.

But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin." (Romans 7:14-21, 23-25 NLT)

 

"Oh, Jesus hear my prayer. You have set me free from sin. I pray for conviction. That I will be sick of the power of sin in my life. I am no longer a slave to the things I do not want to do. Lord, I pray for productivity and success in all that I do. Just as you say in your Word, I am committing my actions to you so that my plans will succeed. (Proverbs 16:3) I want your desires and plans to be my desires and plans. I want to put off laziness and put on a new self that works enthusiastically in all that I do as though I am working for you and not for selfish desires or for man. Amen."

 

Some of my goals, plans, desires, and actions that I am committing to The Lord and asking for help are:

  • My health -- obesity and energy level - exercise and food choices
  • My finances -- paying off loans, spending less, and giving more
  • Homeschooling -- better time management and being prepared
  • Personal Spiritual Growth -- more time in the Word, a strong prayer life, memorizing Scripture, and serving out of love
  • Serving my family and others -- not being selfish with my time & energy, being prepared, learning new things to better serve others

 

I do each of these things listed above... Here and there. But the execution of each of them is lacking consistency. So if I don't change that, then time will just keep passing by wasted. Without me being intentional and consistent about doing the good that I want to do then it will be like taking 2 steps forward and 2 steps back. Never making any progress on anything.

 

My word that I am going to be working on is CONSISTENCY.



3 comments:

  1. Love the word. Consistency is key!!! Such a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading your blog for awhile now and I really appreciate your honesty. Sometimes it's tempting in the blog-o-sphere for it to seem like everyone has it so together. Thanks for being real with us! I just wrote a post that addresses this same topic (and even uses the SAME passage in Romans 7 -- I feel like God is trying to tell us something?!). The concepts I talk about in the post have helped me greatly and maybe will be of use to you. Please come check it out when you get some time. :) http://www.saraborgstede.com/rebel-against-ourselves/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara! Thanks for following along! So crazy we wrote a post on the exact same topic today! Thanks for pointing me over to yours. That is a really interesting point of view that I've never considered. That my rebellious side is on my same team and has some things to contribute that aren't all bad. It's kind of cool bc instead of feeling like I have to choose perfection or screw up I can more think of it as 50/50 or 80/20 etc. Thanks! Good luck to you on your battle as well. I look forward to looking around on your blog to learn more about your journey!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...