Jul 2, 2015

Goodness Gracious

Today has been the first day in a week that I have actually picked up a book and my Bible. I've been flat out exhausted and the only thing I've wanted to do is sleep... and cry. I'm worn out. (And almost 38 weeks pregnant.)

 
But today I slept in until 9. I woke up slightly happy and with a small dose of energy. Enough to get dressed, take care of my 3 kids and move to the couch at least. Pathetic I know. But hey, it's the truth.

I grabbed my Bible and one of the books I am currently reading - "Out of the Spin Cycle" by Jen Hatmaker. Do you love her as much as I do?!

This book is a devotional for motherhood. I am loving it and an added bonus I found it on sale at the bookstore last time I was there for only $3.

 
Her devotion titled "Goodness Gracious" was just what I needed! Wow! I've been short tempered, quick to cry, I don't even remember what patience looks like, and lazy. Tired and motherhood don't mix well.

"Young motherhood is too demanding to attempt without a deep connection to Christ."



 

I realized I have been running on spiritual fumes.
For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 


Matthew 12:34-35
She says, "motherhood is like a pitcher with a hole in the bottom: a constant drain on our energy, patience, and tolerance." Oh so true. In the most wonderful, rewarding, but draining way.

But I have to ask myself how do I expect to speak with kindness, have patience, and serve my family if my spiritual reserves are empty?

If I attempt to fill myself up with food, TV, social media, and sleep I have a filling it's going to be an empty attempt that won't last more than 20 minutes.

I must put good in to produce good. Out of what is stored up in my heart comes my words and actions. Am I filling up on good?

"Goodness in equals goodness out.

No goodness in equals no goodness out."

We can't be too busy (or tired) for the Word, or to pray, to go to church or join a small group.

When God's Word is flowing through our lives we can not only survive each hour of the day we can thrive. We can draw out the goodness, the patience, self control, love and kindness when we have it stored up in our hearts.

  

She suggests just getting up 15 or 20 minutes before you normally do to start your day with God. (Something I've been desiring and wanting to do, but thinking sleep has been more important. Nope.) This will help us mommas to become centered and put some goodness into our hearts, because we all know it's going to take a lot of goodness spilling out all through out the day up until the last little one closes his eyes and finally gives into sleep at the end of the long, exhausting day. Then we will close our tired eyes and do it all again the next day. He gives us everything we need for each day. I'm ready to go to Him to fill me up.

Goodness in, mama.

Thank you, thank you Jen Hatmaker for these words and encouragement!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...