Sep 9, 2015

Don't Be Vanilla

When I was a kid, I only liked vanilla ice cream and on a regular cone. I didn't care that people said: BORING. I liked my scoop of vanilla ice cream and I wanted it on a regular cake cone. I didn't like anything else.

Vanilla

I'm not sure when I tried a different kind for the first time. I'm not sure when I first licked my now favorite kind - chocolate chip cookie dough. But at that moment, when I took a chance to do something unfamiliar and different, vanilla was no longer my choice, my only choice.

I think life is like that sometimes. We stick to what is comfortable, safe, and familiar. I would swear up and down I did not like anything else. But that was a lie. The truth was, I didn't try anything else. How did I know I didn't like rocky road or chocolate. I wasn't willing to try something new. I wasn't willing to take a RISK. I do remember my first bite of cheesecake. I swore I didn't like the stuff, I was working at a restaurant as a waitress and one of the cooks put it out on the serving line for the waitresses to eat if they wanted a bite. I said I don't like it and then took a bite. OMG. I then realized what I had been missing.

What if we are never willing to take a risk in our lives? We will never see or experience new things. We will miss so much. We could miss out on the good things God set out before us to do in our lifetime. New things that could change the course of our lives. New, hard, uncomfortable things that become our heart's desire.

I've been scared, nervous, fearful, and doubting. I've been listening to the voices in my head that whisper to me, "You can't handle this. You're not strong enough. Why are you even trying this? Put the spoon down. Your life is so perfect how it is. You don't want to make a mistake. If you do you will embarrass yourself. You're not good enough. Don't mess it up. Stick with comfortable. Stick to what you know."

Like I mentioned chocolate chip cookie dough on a waffle cone is my favorite ice cream now, but even though that is different than my original scoop of vanilla it has turned into vanilla. It has become comfortable. I don't venture far from it.

Risk is scary. But to take a risk means stepping out in love. It means putting our trust in something bigger than ourselves, Someone bigger than us. It means we are willing to let go of what we know for something that might be beyond our reach. We might have to learn something new. We might have to rely on someone else to help us. We might get hurt and bruised. It means we are not ok settling for average. We want to be awesome. Risk means we want to love in a big sort of scary way.

But we can stick to eating our vanilla ice cream for 80 years or we can go to Baskin Robbins and try every flavor with enthusiasm until our time has come to hear: "Job well done, good and faithful servant."

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...