Feb 5, 2015

What I Read...

You know those books where you want to underline everything? Or those books you want to slow down so you can soak it all in, but they're too good so you keep reading and reading? Or those books you want to apply every single thing that is said to your life?

Well that was this book for me. LOVE DOES by Bob Goff

Have you read it? What did you think?

No, you haven't read it? Go. Read it. Now.

I loved it. Bob Goff might be my new favorite guy. And I don't even know anything about him other than the stories he shared in this book. (I'm hoping he has a blog or more books I can read, but I don't think he does.) What I do know about him is that he is totally in awe and love struck by God. He has such a bright side look on life and a fun loving, whimsical way that he loves God and that he loves others. He shares his life with us and shows that loving God doesn't have to be hard, boring work that we loathe (and that it shouldn't be.) It's not something that is forced upon us or that we are scared into doing. We should love God because God is love. The way that Bob talks about loving God reminds me of Cupid shooting an arrow and that person is under a spell, willing to make a fool of himself, do whatever it takes to love the object of his affection.

Bob knows that love is fun. And I want to know it, too.

There are so many things I could share with you about this book. So many life lessons. But honestly, I just want you to read this book. And I want to read it again. There are 31 (short) chapters in this book and I plan on putting this by my bed and reading 1 chapter every morning for the next month. And then DOING it throughout my day, week, life.

Love isn't just a feeling. Or even just a choice. Love is an action. Love does.

 

______________________________________________

I love reading books that bloggers have written. I love that these women were once just sitting on their couch, plucking away at the keyboard wondering if anyone even read their tiny little blog, but now they are published authors. Maybe the stories aren't any different and the person is the same, but the scope of who is reading them has grown.

So I am usually drawn to any book that a blogger has written, even if I don't read that person's blog. Well, on my book "wish list" was A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet by Sophie Hudson. She is the author of BooMama blog. And when I saw Amazon had it on sale for FREE, I was excited and snatched it up. There's not a whole lot more I like than free books.

I really wanted to like this book. I mean look at the cover, how cute is it? But, I didn't. I tried. I picked it up 4 or 5 different times and forced myself to read another chapter or two. I made it through the middle of chapter 7 and then deleted it from my Kindle. I hate not finishing books, but I also knew that this one was wasting my time. I didn't need to read it just because I had started it. I didn't like it. I didn't think it was funny and it was so detailed about things I really didn't care about. Maybe if these were blog posts with pictures it could've been more bearable? Maybe if you actually follow along her blog or know her? I feel bad saying this because like I said, I love a blogger that becomes a published author and want to root for them, but I can not recommend this book.

 

________________________________________

I'm in the middle of Crazy Love by Francis Chan and I might start Craig Groeschel's new book From This Day Forward this week.

 

What's on your Kindle or on your night stand currently?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...