Aug 17, 2013

The Promised Land

God has brought me out of Egypt and into my Promised Land. I am currently reading a book titled, You're Already Amazing (by Holley Gerth). I usually just reread the title of the book 10 times before doing anything else because it makes me feel pretty amazing. There is a part of the book talking about The Promised Land that I read last night. Heaven is our ultimate Promised Land. But just like God gave the Israelites a Promised Land in this life, she believes he often does the same for us too. She describes a Promised Land as: "a desire of your heart that God guides you into through an intimate journey with him."

I thought this was such a cool concept and a lot of wisdom to learn so I thought I would share some of it with you guys. (I am going to take some inserts from her book, which is mentioned above and it's located on pages 94-96.)

She describes some of the Promised Lands we have been seeking are to be married, to have a family and children, or for a successful career. All of our Promised Lands look different.

Sometimes we are so focused on getting to our Promised Land or don't think we will ever get there that we don't know what to do once we are there. What does God say we're to do when we get to our Promised Land?

First God wants us to go and make it fully ours, which will take hard work and fighting some battles. Some promised lands we have to continue to fight for. We are to believe that the Promised Land will ultimately belong to us, but the way that actually happens usually takes time and courage on our part.

Next we need to defend our Promised Land. When we get to where God is taking us, it doesn't mean we can get so comfortable that we let our guard down or neglect our relationship with Him.

  • Deuteronomy 8:11-14 "Be careful that you do not forget The Lord your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day. Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied, then your heart will become proud and you will forget The Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."

I LOVE THIS VERSE!!!! And I have never read it like this before.

 

We usually are the ones who get ourselves into trouble, not enemies. The Israelites drifted away from their faith in God and eventually were exiled from the Promised Land for many years. And I think that we can become too comfortable in our own Promised Lands that sometimes we are exiled from them. Holley, the author of the book, says that gratitude and obedience are the best defenses for our Promised Land. Reread the Scripture above! We forget The Lord our God, we fail to obey his commands. Our life becomes so full of blessing we want for nothing. We become proud! God is the one who took us out of Egypt, the place where we were lost and lonely, out of slavery! He brought us to our Promised Land.

If you're anything like me you're diligent to pray constantly and work your butt off to get what you want, until whatever you are desiring is yours. Is this what it means when "guys are all about the chase"? Think going to college and working constantly until you graduate and receive that degree you have longed for. Or dating your boyfriend and putting your whole self into it, wearing make up, always being on your best behavior or being naughty ;), and putting your best foot forward until you have tied the knot. Then you pray constantly to have a child of your own and be pregnant, promising God if he would just give you your desire you would never complain about anything ever again.

Well, what do we tend to do after awhile when our desires are given to us by God? We complain about the husband we have, we want a newer, updated version, he doesn't meet our needs and we become unhappy. Or we become pregnant and can't help but resent how sick we are during pregnancy and how much money this kid is going to cost.

Or even if we are happy with our desires we can become so comfortable in our Promised Land that we become proud and give ourselves credit for everything around us. We worked hard, so we deserve these things. I'm a good person so of course I have everything I always wanted.

Well God does want us to enjoy our Promised Land, but remember that He is the one that brought us to it. Be grateful, thanking Him daily. Obey his commands and stay true to your faith in God. Continue to go to church, do not become too busy for God - yes, a baby takes up a lot of time, but God gave you your little blessing so let us continue to sing praises to our Father in Heaven.

  • Deuteronomy 8:10 "When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise The Lord your God for the good land he has given you."

 

To find out what your Promised Lands are ask yourself, "Is there an area in my life where I feel like God has brought me to the Promised Land?

  • A desire or prayer answered
  • A sense of being where I belong
  • Renewed joy and anticipation
  • Passion to possess and defend what's been given to me

 

I feel like I am in the Promised Land in many areas of my life (we may be there in some areas but not others). I want to share a few with you:

My Family

My family is a Promised Land that The Lord brought me too. I never believed I would have a husband that loves me and respects me like my husband does. My children are such a joy in my life. And you better believe I will defend my family against anything trying to attack us. (except for maybe an insect - then I run in fright.)

My "Job"

I stay at home full time. I never thought this would be what I would do, but I truly do have a sense of being where I belong.

Our Home:

We are living in our dream house. We are in town, next to family, and a big, beautiful home.

And An Answer to Prayer Promised Land:

I am 12 weeks pregnant and after a year of trying and a tragic loss in my previous pregnancy 8 months ago, God has brought me to this desire of mine.

 

As you can see I am living in my Promised Land. Now I do not say all these things to boast and brag. And I definitely do not want to cause jealously from anyone.

This portion in the book was just such a good reminder to look at my life and to be grateful for all of the blessings that God has poured into my life. To obey Him and to strive to be more like Him. To figure out all the ways He wants me to love Him and love others. To not be proud in myself - I do not deserve any of this. It is not because of me that I have these things. It's all because of Him. And to quit being so comfortable that I stray from my faith.

I want to encourage you to look at your life. To pray and ask God what He wants for your life and to figure out what your Promised Lands are.

What areas are you still in Egypt and are there steps God is waiting for you to take? Or maybe God has a better plan for you than the Promised Land you are desiring. Holley tells us that we won't make it to all of the Promised Lands our heart long for this side of Heaven. We live in a fallen, broken world, and some of the desires of our hearts will only be met when we cross from here to eternity. That is an encouraging line. Jesus is our only hope and He will be enough, more than enough for everything we could ever need or want.

Make sure to tell Jesus THANK YOU today. Praise Him for the good things He has given you.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. So encouraging! Just what I needed to hear!!! Stacy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...