Nov 24, 2012

Oh, Christmas Tree

A 25 year tradition broken.
A 28 year tradition renewed.

My whole life I celebrated my birthday with a house full of Christmas decorations. At the start of November my mom would pull down her 30+ tubs of Christmas decorations, trees, and ornaments out of the attic and make the house beautiful and full of the Christmas spirit.
My husband's family had a different tradition - every year the day after Thanksgiving they would order pizza (Papa John's) and would decorate the tree & house together, but not a day before. My husband LOVES Thanksgiving and believes doing anything Christmas before it is "skipping" the holiday. 
Like letting Kairi where Christmas clothes before Turkey Day!

We like to go out of town for Thanksgiving with my husband's family and so this year I convinced him to get down the Christmas tree early so it would be ready for when we got home!!! (Even though his mother gave him a hard time for doing so!) 

The girls had a blast putting the ornaments on the tree - I love the JOY they are filled with! And am so excited to experience this Christmas season with an almost 4 year old and an almost 2 year old.


I only guided them slightly on where to place the ornaments when the tree was very front heavy and told them about spreading out the ornaments. I also helped with the breakable ones and put those towards the top. More in fear of the dog then the girls!

Kairi couldn't wait to put the STAR on top of the tree!
She already knows that's what a "real Christmas tree" has to have.
Daddy helping her reach the top! 

Santa's little helpers!

Our Christmas Tree 2012
I love our fun, bright, colorful Christmas tree!
I was pretty proud of myself for not moving any ornaments from where the girls placed them! There's even a few bare spots in the tree! My parents got the girls a string of bubble lights and I really like the new addition to the tree. I am thinking a new Vera Bradley ornament would look nice though! *hint hint :)

One of my most favorite traditions are the stockings! It's not Christmas without Santa filling your stocking with all your favorite fun little things that you love. - Ok that's not true. I do know the true reason for Christmas and I know it's not about Santa. But that doesn't stop me from loving stockings!

My mom makes all of our stockings. Next year we will have one more hanging!

I love sitting in the living room with the lights out and looking at the glow of the tree!

Tomorrow we are starting a new tradition - the Elf on the Shelf. 
What Christmas traditions does your family practice? Any tips for the Elf on the Shelf??

MERRY CHRISTMAS!! - only a month away! Are you ready?

1 comment:

  1. I love traditions, and I love my old traditions, but making new traditions with my family is the best. Thank you for making new traditions with me baby!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...