Oct 29, 2012

Wishing & Hoping, Thinking & Praying, Planning & Dreaming

Are you a dreamer or a planner?

I would definitely classify myself as a planner. If I have a plan or know the plan I am all set. The unknown stresses me out and makes me worry. Even if "the plan" isn't what I would choose I am ok with it as long as I know it.

This effects all aspects of my life. If I have a plan for losing weight then I can follow it and make better choices - following the rules. If it's in the calendar or on my to do list I can check it off and know it's coming. I don't like to be asked things on the spot. I like to think about it and make sure it fits into "the plan". So you will often hear me answer with a "maybe". Even if it is something I really want to do. I don't like to commit to anything without thinking about it first. I believe in letting my yes be yes and my no be no.

When I was pregnant with the girls it drove me crazy to not know the exact date they were coming. One time my doctor would say I won't let you go past 38 weeks - awesome a plan. Then the next visit he would say she'll come out when she comes - uh no plan. (We ended up scheduling an induction date with both girls at 40 weeks.)

I would not classify myself as a controlling person. I am not crazy about surprises and I am not a spontaneous, spur of the moment girl. I just like my to do lists, my calendar, rules, and to be able to think about things first. I am a planner.

I also have some "dreams" or wants, but I get fearful of getting my hopes up. My husband and I were talking last night and he told me, "It's ok. Get your hopes up. All of your plans will come true." Lol, it made me laugh that he said all of my plans and not all of my dreams. He knows me so well.

But that isn't true. All of our plans and dreams will not come true. My husband text me and told me to read this verse:

James 4:13-16 "Look here, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year.'.... How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog- it's here a little while, them it's gone. What you ought to say is, 'If The Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that. Otherwise you are boasting about your own plans, and all such boasting is evil."

Wow! That hit me hard and yet also helped me relax a little bit. I am not in control of my own life. My plans aren't everything. God, my Maker, has it all planned out. The more I seek Him, the more I know Him. I want to align my plans, dreams, and goals with God's plan for my life. I want to desire what He desires for me. "Lord, your will."

I think it's ok to ask God for things, actually He tells us to! But I have to let go of my plans and live my life for Him. It's here today, gone tomorrow. The purpose of this life is to glorify and worship our Father. And to help out those around us to do the same by loving them and spreading His name!

So I will continue to tell God my "plans", but in hopes of lining it up to His. I will ask Him what His plan is for my life and hopefully as I seek Him out I will know the next steps He wants me to take. And I can find peace in knowing that God Almighty knows best.

Have plans, have dreams. Get your hopes up! Plan less, Pray more. Trust & Faith.

What's life without HOPE?

And as my 3 year old daughter says, "Tomorrow is today."

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...