Sep 21, 2012

What's in a Title?

When I think of my blog, there are several things I go over every time.
One of the top things I think about is "how do I get more readers?" How do I put myself out there more? Should I try to get sponsors? etc...
Mostly, my readers are friends and family (as far as I know) and some of you might travel to my doodlespot from my Facebook or Twitter links. 
Some of my favorite blogs that I follow have 12,000+ followers and I think "my oh my! Can you imagine?!" Just knowing that I'm not talking to myself and that people enjoy what I have to say would mean so much. Having sponsors and reaching so many people would be so fun and amazing. Having more followers would mean I have a good blog...

But this morning, I read a comment on one of my posts which it had a good point, but then I wondered if it was my point? They suggested using really catchy titles to draw people to my blog. (Imagine browsing over a news site and think of the reason why you click on some of the headlines. It connects, it's catchy, it makes you want to know more.) I have always wondered if the title attracts more clicks if it is catchy and the answer would be, as my girls say - DUH, of course it does. I can tell when I have a post about our Tuesday morning story time (with it saying that in the title) in comparison to if it says... oh I don't know, something clever - there are more readers. So while the title is important to draw in readers, I remembered that that is not the point of my blog. Yes I love knowing someone is out there reading this, and I appreciate each of you, but numbers isn't point of my blog. Jut like a church should never measure it's success or growth with how many people are in the seats. It is one way to tell if we are doing something right, but it is not the only way nor the most important way.

Blogging has recently become a passion of mine and one of my favorite hobbies. I want to do the best I can at it, and I think with each post, I am learning and growing about how to share in a way that matters. But I know I have a long ways to go to be the blogger I want to be. I have recently remembered that I just want to share my life with whoever is willing to read about it in hopes that it can encourage them and that God can use me to relate to people to draw them closer to Him. Everything I do is to bring Glory to my Father. 
So if I have 1 reader, 50 readers, 100s, or 1000s of you I am going to try to not be so concerned with the number of hits a post receives. Obviously, the more readers the more people the more people I can potentially reach. I will care more that I have reached someone, encouraged someone, loved someone, understood and shared. I love when someone sends me a message or leaves me a comment (hint hint: all bloggers LOVE comments) and has anything to say about something I said; how it touched their life. I am so grateful for this little piece of real estate on the Internet. To be able to share my life in a way that can glorify God is so crazy to me. (and hopefully that is what my blog is doing - if not feel free to comment and tell me ways to improve. Constructive criticism is one of the best learning tools, sometimes hard to swallow that we aren't perfect, tho. :) )

I have had my blog for about 5 years, but it's just been this year that I really started enjoying it and putting time into it. I want to learn more about blogging and do a "good job" at it. I want to invest into it. (This may make no sense to some of you, but if you have a blog then I'm guessing you are nodding your head in agreement.) I love my blog. I love sharing my life with you: the good, the bad, and the ugly. My blog is as much for you as it is for me. I am always open to suggestions of ways to improve or questions you may have for me! If you have a topic you'd like me to share about then just comment. I hope to be relating and pointing others to Christ by living a Godly life. If I am not, then please let me know. I love that it is a place where my family and friends can come to connect with me and for Mimi & Pop to see the girls! 

I appreciate each of you coming to read my blog. Whether if it is to relate, to build a relationship, or just to be nosey, that's ok! Thanks for letting me share what is on my mind in such an open and real way. Thanks for being a part of my life and my blog.

And just because I like pictures: 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...