Aug 7, 2012

Words are Free Purses cost Money

I'm not sure when but I decided I wanted to be an encourager, a Barnabas. I prayed often about this asking God to help me be an encourager. I enjoy it and it brings me joy. Maybe because my love language is words of affirmation, I like to love others by doing this. When I think something I try to tell that person. How often do we miss opportunities to lift someone's spirit by saying what we are thinking for fear of sounding weird or out of our own selfishness or jealousy?
Just today while I saw two girls eating lunch and thought how cute they were dressed and how they looked so friendly and sweet. I wanted to tell them, but I thought oh they will think I'm weird for telling them they are beautiful young ladies w/ a cute trendy style. So I said nothing but nodded as we passed them.
I just like to tell people what I'm thinking. This used to be a negative thing about me. One word that was often used to describe me in high school and college was "blunt". I later learned you can be honest without being blunt. 
I don't believe in saying things just to flatter, even if they aren't true. I try to find something I do like about them or their outfit. If your hair doesn't look good I'm not going to tell you how much I love it. And yes, if you ask I will tell you that I don't like it. 
So anyways, I think telling people encouraging kind words about them, their look, their personality, their work, their kids, their home is so important and lifting. I think it's a way of showing love and bring a smile and a bit of confidence to someone. 
We all suffer with insecurities, but to know that a stranger or even friend thinks you're awesome or that those jeans look killer. You have to admit you walk with a little more pride in your stride!
Anyways, I say all that because God granted me the gift of encouragement and I believe He did because I asked Him for it. 
Lately my husband and I have been discussing how we would love to be generous people. If there is a need we would love to be able to meet it and always looking for opportunities to give a dime or the shirt off our backs. 
But I have to be honest with you. I have not asked God for this gift... I am afraid. 
Words are free and I just keep getting more - no cost!!! I will not run out of them. Yet, I am afraid to let go of what I have/my possessions in fear that I don't have enough or because of my finances. I know how much we make and I know how much my bills are and how little that leaves over. I know how "poor" we are. I know if I give something away then maybe I won't be able to buy what I need, no let's be honest what I want
I thought I needed to be 100% debt free before I could give to others or it wouldn't be responsible or I wouldn't be taking care of my family! 
How silly! I have everything I could ever need! I haven't been grocery shopping in a few weeks yet I am not starving! It's 100+ degrees outside yet here I sit in my house w/ my working a/c under my Vera Bradley blanket. I have a stack of clean laundry behind me that needs put away, but it might sit there awhile because I have enough in my closet and dresser to last me a couple more weeks! If I'm thirsty or stinky I can walk less than 10 feet away to get water. 
I am not poor. I am not in need. I have more then enough. 

So I will say it again. I want to be a generous giver. This will be my prayer. 
I will look for opportunities, but God will really have to work on my spirit and personality to be able to let go of the fear of my finances. I'm not a couponer, but yet if I have a coupon to save 35 cents and I forget about it in my pocket and walk out of the store, I have been known to turn around to return the item to buy it again to get it 35 cents cheaper. That only happened once, but I will kick myself for hours about it! 
Everything I have is His, so why not give it away to someone in need. I think that is what He would want me to do! The more we give, the more we have, so we can give even more!!! 

My Bible study group is currently reading 7 Seven by Jen Hatmaker and I am about to begin chapter 3, Possessions! I am so excited to read this chapter and learn about what the scripture says about giving and hear this Christian lady's experience of giving, giving, giving!!! I'm excited to see what God is going to do through the group of ladies at my church and how He is going to change me.
I will be excited to share what I learn and experience with giving. Not to boast about what I gave, but to boast in His Holy Spirit changing my spirit to become more like Him.  Matthew 6:19-21

3 comments:

  1. I love this post. I love you. I have grown to think you are one of the most beautiful people I know. :) I will pray along with your prayer- that you will be a generous giver and not be afraid of this desire. You're great sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such an encourager Jill! :) I love you too and am so thankful I didn't miss my opportunity to get to know you and have a friendship.

      Delete
  2. You are an amazing encourager kc!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...