Jun 26, 2012

Are you building or destroying?

Well today I did something I have never done before. I told an 80(ish) year old woman that she was rude.

The girls and I went to the library today for story time and we were in the bathroom changing Kairi's clothes. (She had her swimsuit on from swimming lessons.) A girl and her son that go to our church were in there and the last stall was locked. The 2 year old boy starts crying and screaming because he doesn't want to wash his hands. And the (old) lady comes out of the stall and goes to the sink and says "SHHHH!!! You're making too much noise!" 

I think it probably hurt the girls' feelings a little as she just nodded yes (she is one of the softest, sweetest girls I know.) and left. Then the lady starts griping to me about the boy AND the mom. (Even using a cussword!) She wouldn't stop griping about them and saying snotty rude things! So I interrupted her and said, "NO! That is rude. You're not going to talk about them like that." And she continues on how the boys mother should've stopped him and gripes and gripes. I said, "He's 2. It's a temper tantrum. Those happen. You are being rude and need to stop." So she says very snotty like, "I've raised kids and my children NEVER acted like that." I politely responded, "I bet they did. And you don't get to be rude like that."

I tried to be as nice as I could, standing up for the mother and her son. But yet I had to be stern for the lady to stop griping. I don't understand some people. Why would a total stranger want to take a chance of hurting someone like that. (I didn't talk to the girl afterwards (yet) so I'm not sure of her feelings, but I know how it would've made me feel!)
I do the best I can to raise my children to be well behaved. And I take it as a HUGE compliment when someone tells me about them being well mannered. I am proud of them when they listen and mind. But yet when they cry and throw a fit, I get nervous and embarrassed. I look around to see who can hear and take all the hurtful stares personally as I know they are judging my ability to be a mother.

 

Our children are just that KIDS. Sometimes they do not know the proper ways to communicate their frustrations and so that results and screaming, crying, and kicking the legs! It happens!! And usually in the busiest times and in the middle of a Wal-Mart aisle! 
It's ok Moms! This does not mean we are not good parents and that our children are out of control. We just have to take that time to either let them throw a fit because we won't buy them a new toy (don't give in to their screaming just because it is embarrassing that people can hear). But we just have to give them the words to express their feelings, calm them down, teach them the correct way to communicate, and sometimes give them a spanking on the bottom!

The words we say can either lift people up or cut them down. The mean comments we say about someone can really harm them and cut them deep. Once we say something we never get to take those words back.

So be encouraging to one another, build each other up, love each other, and help... Be Christ to one another!

1 Thessalonians 5:11 "So encourage each other and build each other up."

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...