May 29, 2012

Fall to the Feet

LUKE 12:23 - FOR LIFE IS MORE THAN FOOD,  AND THE BODY MORE THAN CLOTHING.

This morning I read a comment that said, "I fall to the feet of food." That left me feeling so unsettled and I started thinking how much that applies in my own life. 

I don't think we should "fall to the feet" of anything but our Heavenly Father who deserves all praise and glory! And I can say that and I believe it, but do I practice it? Do I fall to the feet of anything? Food, facebook, weight loss, family, compliments, humanly praise, laziness...? 
What exactly does it mean to fall to the feet? It makes me think of idolizing and worshipping. 
The definition of idolatry is the excessive or blind adoration, reverence, devotion, etc. OBSESSION
What do I obsess over? What am I devoted to? Now I am not saying that being devoted to things is wrong, but being devoted and obsessed to something so much that it negatively effects my relationship with God is wrong or I might even say a SIN. 

Some things I obsess over are food & weight loss. I started my weight loss journey 2 1/2 years ago and in that time I have lost 70 pounds. Sometimes I forget that the reason I lose weight is not for compliments and words of affirmation, but I lost the weight for health and to be able to live my life without struggling to breathe or take care of my kids. I am losing the weight so that God may use me to help others. I have changed my habits and live a more active lifestyle now but I still struggle daily.


I have tried to restrict foods causing more obsession over it. I am going to the beach in 2 weeks and I thought I HAD to be at my goal to be comfortable on the beach. It consumes my thought process and my life. I was just on a very restricted low calorie diet for a couple weeks and food was all I could think about. I daydreamed about carbs and would drool when smelling any food. The restriction in my life caused an obsession. Wanting something so bad that I put all my mind and heart into it. I couldn't get past the desire for food and instead of living that way I am choosing to end that diet and really try to live with the motto "food is fuel". {I am still on my 3 months of NO sweets with only 3 weeks left. I think my obsession with dessert has been curbed a bit and I am learning that things are ok in moderation - and ice cream after every meal is not moderation.} :) 

What I want to do instead is to make healthy living a PART of who I am. My husband and I are passionate about wellness but I do not want to wrap my identity in weight loss, fitness, or health. My identity is in Christ Jesus. Instead of using my own strength to beat desires I am going to study the Scripture and pray for strength through Christ to make healthy choices and to gain self-control. (Fruits of the Spirit Galatians 5:19-23) The Lord is my strength and everything I do is to bring glory to Him!
(1 Corinthians 10:31, "So wether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God!")
I plan to go to the Scripture for strength and wisdom. I want my love for Christ and Christ's love for his children to pour out of me in ALL that I do. In blogging, in my family, in health, in my eating... everything! "God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body." 1 Cor. 6:20

Jonathan and I want to teach others about living a healthy lifestyle. We want to encourage and inspire! WE do not want to be praised! We want to bring all praise to our Father! But how can we teach others if we do not live it ourselves?! Every step we take must be on purpose, for God's purpose.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27

New Living Translation (NLT)
24 Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! 25 All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. 26 So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. 27 I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.


No matter what the scale says about you or to you - please know that our worth is far greater than any number can say! What matters is our relationship with Christ. Romans 5:8 says, "But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." We are God's children and I don't care what size of pants I wear that's MORE than I deserve and more than enough for me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...