Mar 7, 2012

A penny saved is a penny earned

8 months ago I became a full time stay at home mom! I'd have to say one of the best decisions of my life! I thoroughly enjoy staying in my pj's sitting on the couch eating ice cream all day... ok just kidding that's only some days! :) But seriously, I love love love being at home with my girls and getting to teach them, play with them, feed them, and love on them all day long.
But with choosing to stay at home we have had to make sacrifices in how we spend our money. We went from living off of 2 incomes to one. And while there are sacrifices that come with it, they are ones I gladly make and ones that I made sure my husband was 100% on board with before quitting.

But as a stay at home mom there are LOTS of ways we can still contribute to our family financially! Here are some of the ways I do:
* I stayed employed at the hospital as a "flex" employee and I pick up around 2 shifts a month. - I am able to make a little extra money by working those hours, I have opportunity to make a bonus, and there are other benefits of being an employee that have to do with insurance copays and our gym membership!
* I make a budget (and try our hardest to stick to it) each month. We tell our money where to go instead of getting to the end of the month and not having a clue where it goes! We have to plan ahead for items we want and save for emergencies. (I totally recommend Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University and he has forms to create a budget.) Having a budget is one of the best ways to have more money than you thought you had.
* I have let my love for shopping dwindle and try not to get caught up with Old Navy's sales and make a list before going to Wal-Mart.  What do we NEED vs WANT
* I look around our house and see what we do not use, need or want and try to sell those items (on craigslist or facebook).
* We are having a garage sale in 2 weeks! - A great way to simplify and get some extra cash to save away.
* My husband and I have a photography studio/business (JKphotography) and although this is a hobby we do together; we have been able to help our family financially through it.

Now with saying all this. I have to say I am only able to do this through the blessing of God and family and my husband working hard for his family!

There are other ways I NEED to work on to help financially.
* Eating out is expensive. I am working on cooking more for my family.
* I need to try harder at sticking to the budget in the "eating out" and "clothing" categories!
* I need to learn how to say NO to my husband and myself.
* I tried to grow out my hair to save $ but sorry! couldn't do it! :) hair cut appointment tomorrow


We have always tried to live a simple life and I am so happy that this has all worked out! I hope to stay home with my girls for a long time!!!
The #1 important thing I try to do is APPRECIATE and SUPPORT my hard working husband!!!


Now there are lots of other ways: couponing, making your own products, gardening, not professionally grooming yourself...
What are your favorite ways you contribute to your family financially??

1 comment:

  1. Oh and limiting the extracurricular activities we do! Sometimes we just can't afford to do both! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...