Feb 2, 2012

I will dance my side of the dance

A couple nights ago my husband and I watched the movie Courageous. It started out as a typical Christian low budget film. Cheesy and bad acting. But if you look past that you can see the lessons of parenting that God wants to teach you.
I do have to say I bawled like a baby at the end... I recommend EVERYONE watches this movie!!! 
(if you keep reading this blog it is a SPOILER for the movie)

At one part of the movie the daughter hears a song she loves and gets out of the car and asks the dad to dance with her! He is too worried that people are watching and he would look silly so he didn't dance. He said "I'm dancing with you in my heart." He just wanted to sit and watch her so he wouldn't be embarrassed. So the girl said when he was ready this is how you dance and she danced like a little sweetheart to the song!


His daughter was killed in a car accident shortly after that. And obviously he was struggling with it and what kind of dad he had been. His pastor told him you can either be mad about the time you didn't get with her or you can be grateful for the years you had.  

A couple months later he went to the same spot and turned on the same song and danced. Then he prayed and said to God. "God if it's not too much to ask, will you tell her I danced my side of the dance."

Ya, that's when I lost it! I can't imagine having that regret of not dancing with her. The hurt and pain he was feeling! 

So I knew at that time I had to be more intentional with the time I spend with my girls/family. I don't want to have any regrets that I spent too much wasting time and not quality time. I know my number one job is to raise Godly children not just well behaved children. I have to focus on our relationships, showing them the love God has for them.

One thing I always think about with my daughters and husband is that I want us all to grow old together and be together forever. It's a fear of mine to be separated. And as long as my girls accept Jesus into their hearts when they become older we will be together for eternity. And it is my job to show them Christ & teach them to be Godly women. -- Proverbs 22:6 Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

That night I prayed a true genuine prayer. Thank you Lord for the 365 days I have had with Brayce and the 3 years I have had with Kairi. He has not promised us 100 years but He has given me each day so far and so for everyday I have them and my husband I will be thankful. I will treasure them and cherish every moment. Even the hard moments where they are stressing me out or pushing the boundaries. It's only been 2 days and I have become a better mother, more patient more grateful and more intentional

However, I don't want to forget the lessons I learned during that movie. I pray they were imbedded on my heart for always. --- might just have to watch the movie every so often!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...