Feb 18, 2012

Barter Harder

A couple weeks ago my husband and I were approached from a friend she said her and her boyfriend really wanted to get pictures taken soon but they did not have the money to pay for it. They wanted to know if we would be willing to make a TRADE. She wanted to trade her babysitting services for pictures! AWESOME!! Yes we would love to! We enjoyed our first date night last night w this trade!
Another time we worked out a photography photoshoot with images on cd with our landlord for part of our studio rent! Loved it!!! And will be willing to do this anytime! We have also traded photography sessions with another photographer so we could each have family photos!
I think the art of "trade" or "barter" is so under used. I have my resources and talents and you have other resources and talents. Why wouldn't people want to get together and work out a trade? Why do we always rely on money to "pay" for services? 
Now this only works if the person/company you are needing finds your skill or resources useful. Money pays the bills so it has to be a fair trade. We were approached once to trade our photography skills with candles. Well I don't need $250 of candles so I had to turn that one down. But we could've done x amount of product combined with $$. - always an option in trade.
So find your skills, know your resources!!!!!!
One I would love is to trade hair cutting services for one of my skills or photography credit. But I haven't asked so I will never know if someone wants to do that.  - any hair stylists interested?? :)
Make sure you are offering a fair trade so you don't insult the person you are asking. Also I suggest never ask for anything for Free. You can do "something" you just have to figure out what it is. 
Some skills to consider: babysitting, yard work, music lessons, tutoring, your career services, dog sitting, hairstylist, and handyman work.
Resources: products you sell, gardening, clothes, or even things around your house.
In trade you want it to be a win-win for both people involved. And ALWAYS follow through with your end of the bargain. Or your reputation will go ahead of you and people will be leary to work with you. I think more people are willing to trade than we think. At least I would hope so. What a great but lost practice from the "good ol' days"!

What are some times you have bartered and what was your experience? What would you want to barter with someone?

1 comment:

  1. This is so true. I really never consider a "trade" but its a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...